[24hoursupport] audio problem

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:18:05 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi all, I'm stumped. I have a client who provides audio streams of news bro=
adcasts to a number of local radio stations here in Riverside. His office u=
ses Magix Studio 7 in conjunction with some other audio program. They can u=
se several: Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Itunes, etc.  The computer in =
question was originally a Win95 box now running Win98. Everything was runni=
ng as it should until the other day. They need to go back and forth between=
 Studio 7 and some media program. Now the audio portion of the system stops=
 when a stream is imported for manipulation. When I checked out the system =
today, I could easily go back and forth between S7 and WinMedPlay to listen=
 to all kinds of audio input. When a stream was imported, and then we tried=
 to go back to WinMedPlay, we are presented with this error: "MMSYSTEM004 S=
pecified device is already in use, wait ..., try again...." They have anoth=
er media editing program that does the same thing. I was thinking it might =
be S7 till I saw it happen with another program. I've checked Device manage=
r--no conflicts, cntl/alt/del to see the running processes--only 5 all norm=
al and not related. The device is the AWE64 wave device. Some program is gr=
abbing it and not releasing it when finished.

I've forgotten how to terminate a process like this when it isn't in the li=
st of running processes. This means the system needs to be restarted to use=
 any audio divice.=20

I forgot to mention that the system has two modems that also can use audio =
resources. However, when I check all resouces, there's no conflict.

Have any of you heard of something like this? Should I delete all of the of=
fending media drivers and have the system reinstall them, or maybe reinstal=
l windows--not a clean install, I don't want to lose their programs or data=
.

The system has been scanned for viruses, but an AdAware scan freezes when i=
t gets into the Magix folder. The spyware also jumps up exponentially. I've=
 been unable to complete a scan. I've tried scanning just the registry area=
s to no avail.=20

I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have. Sincerely, Dougla=
** Remove the anti-virus footer, ads, and this line and everything below when
replying **

please see http://www.freelists.org/webpage/24hoursupport