[24hoursupport] antivirus software and system software

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 27 Feb 2003 20:19:34 -0800

Hi all, for the fun of it, I decided to try out OnTrack's SystemSuite to
compare it with Norton's SystemWorks. So far I am really impressed. I've
known about OnTrack for a long time as regards their data recovery
software.

When I loaded SystemSuite and got the updates including the virus
definitions, suddenly I found that I had about three viruses that Norton
never found. One of them was a Magistr variant. It was only in one
location/file.

SystemSuite also includes a firewall that seems very much like Zone
Alarm.

Now the question is this: Today I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks and
Zone Alarm so I could try letting OnTrack handle the work. Does anyone
know whether this was a dangerous thing to do and, if so, why? Thanks --