[24hoursupport] Re: Zone Alarm

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "yyixi001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:19:23 -0600

Hello Roland,

There is a yearly subscription fee for continued upgrades, but it is
less than the initial purchase fee. Last time I renewed, they also
offered discounts for renewing for longer than 1 year at a time.

However you should be aware that Zone Alarm Pro does not offer a
different or more effective firewall than the free version. The
difference is in other features. The firewall component is _exactly_
the same in both products. ZA Pro offers additional protection by
quarantining more attachments received in email and more
logging/settings/customization features. For many casual users, the
free ZA product is quite adequate and performs the primary function of
firewall exactly as good as the Pro version does.

I believe in supporting the makers of software that I use, and so I
bought the Pro version. Zone Alarm is definitely a product that is, in
my opinion, worth supporting and I am happy to do so. But to be very
candid, I have made very little use of the additional features that
comes with the Pro version.

HTH,

Ron

Sunday, November 30, 2003, 12:14:41 PM, you wrote:
ysc> Hi, I just reinstalled ZoneAlarm freeware and was wondering how to
ysc> minimize it to tray. All I can see is to click on minimize. Also,
ysc> if I get ZA Pro for $40 or $50, do I have to renew it every year
ysc> or is it a one-time fee? Thank you.