[24hoursupport] ZA, Norton, etcetera

  • From: "William B. Lurie" <billurie@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Twenty-four hour support <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:34:41 -0400

I've read and noted all the conversation about these things,
and I think it's great of you folks to bring out the good and
bad points of the available tools.  I myself have what seems
to be an effective set of safeguards, and they seem to have
been able to keep out all of the intruders. Of course, I still get
a few dozen 'garbage' messages a day, and every now and
then somebody send some garbage back to me that has
my own header on it, stolen and used to disguise their own
identity. Why people get their jollies out of being a useless
pest still isn't clear to me, but it takes all sorts to make a world.

My defense is several layers deep:
First my mail comes to me from my ISP, but half or more comes
via my institutional address, ieee (Institute of Electrical and Electronic
Engineers), who filter out the viruses and forward to my ISP address.
So the first two barriers are the IEEE and my ISP, both sniffing for
garbage. What reaches my input is first filtered by the XP firewall,
and then by Norton System Works' Anti-Virus and Spybot. Finally,
I have my own message-filtering list, which I use discreetly to avoid
messages from known pests. All of these work automatically, and
all I have to do myself is clean out the 'trash' bin now and then.

I particularly enjoyed the recent references to "as bad as Norton"
because I have ceased being amused by how difficult it is to get
from them a practical way to fix any of their software when it goes
bad. I have chewed them out a number of times for selling software
which there is absolutely no clean way to uninstall. Or even to
correct the error messages that  they generate. But the cures they
offer are more dangerous and more frustrating than the diseases
they have, so I just live with them. And I tell people about them.

--
                   William B. Lurie