[24hoursupport] Re: Wnk.xxxx.tmp

  • From: David Matthew Wood <dmwood78@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:57:54 -0500

I had a similar problem before, it told me that it was done
installing, even though it wasn't.  When I restarted, the files were
corrupted, and Norton wouldn't do anything with them.  What I would
try is uninstalling first, and then look for and delete anything the
installer left behind (including the defs).  Then reinstall and try
the update again.

As far as /temp goes, I think it's just a prog that's not deleteing temp files.

>I have Norton SystemWorks 2002 which seems to be working imperfectly. I get no
>help at the Norton website. Only the virus protection program is affected.
>
>I downloaded a new set of anti-virus definitions, but keep getting an error
>that the
>those files are corrupted when I attempt to run the virus scanner. The old
>defs were
>deleted before I attempted to use the new ones which downloaded without event.
>
>Recently, I opened my C:\windows\temp file and found more than 6,000
>Wnk.xxxx.tmp
>files in there which required manual removal in batches no bigger than 100
>files at a
>time. The xxxx stands for four alpha numeric characters which identify each
>Wnk.xxxx.tmp
>file. All are zero length files. C:\windows\temp continues to fill every
>time I am on the web
>and particularly when I use Eudora. I dragged the temp folder to my taskbar
>to keep an
>eye on the contents and make periodic deletions.
>
>At the Norton site, I find no listing for a virus with the wnk file name.
>Any of you folks
>dealt with this problem?
>

>- Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
>24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
>Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
>http://webpages.charter.net/chizotz/

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at