[24hoursupport] Wnk.xxxx.tmp

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:27:02 -0800

I have Norton SystemWorks 2002 which seems to be working imperfectly. I get no
help at the Norton website. Only the virus protection program is affected.

I downloaded a new set of anti-virus definitions, but keep getting an error
that the
those files are corrupted when I attempt to run the virus scanner. The old
defs were
deleted before I attempted to use the new ones which downloaded without event.

Recently, I opened my C:\windows\temp file and found more than 6,000
Wnk.xxxx.tmp
files in there which required manual removal in batches no bigger than 100
files at a
time. The xxxx stands for four alpha numeric characters which identify each
Wnk.xxxx.tmp
file. All are zero length files. C:\windows\temp continues to fill every
time I am on the web
and particularly when I use Eudora. I dragged the temp folder to my taskbar
to keep an
eye on the contents and make periodic deletions.

At the Norton site, I find no listing for a virus with the wnk file name.
Any of you folks
dealt with this problem?

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at