[24hoursupport] Winsock

  • From: Lene Pagsuguiron <lpagsugu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:55:46 -0800 (PST)

I had major issues w/my computer so it had to be shut down and when it
restarted, it did the usual Scandisk and something that it doesn't normally do,
Registry Check.  It said that the registry was now restored to a better
version.  I thought everything was okay so I log in, the USB checks the new
hardware for the cable modem, I see flashes of files being loaded or something
and then it disappears and my computer freezes.  This happens a few times
before I disconnect the USB devices and restart.  Then I reconnect and the
external drive reads fine but the cable modem isn't working.  I speak to
Comcast techs (my provider) and after playing around with IP and deleting this
and adding that, we come to the conclusion that my Winsock is corrupted.  I
don't know if these events are related (registry errors and freezes), but the
tech tells me that it's only a matter of time before Winsock becomes corrupted
and there is nothing I can do to prevent it.
So, I guess I don't really  have a question, but if anyone has any comments or
suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  In the meantime, I'll be looking for an
Ethernet card and thinking about upgrading to XP b/c this was such a hassle.  I
was close to just formatting the drive and starting from scratch, and that
would just annoy me >:(