[24hoursupport] Re: Windows login

  • From: "William B. Lurie" <billurie@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:20:49 -0500

Paul Birch wrote:

>When start my computer I get a windows domain login window. This has only
>happened since I installed Norton Systemworks 2005 premier. I went into
>norton ghost to see what it does it prompted me that it needed .net
>programme to run. Now I get this network log in window. Any ideas?
>
>Paul
>

>Paul, I offer you my sympathy. The whole series of Norton System Works
>

>packages is the most difficult to get straightened out. I've had NSW2003
>

>and NSW2004 and bought NSW2005 because it is convenient and was free

after rebates in the Thanksgiving frenzy. I have been in a steady back
and forth dialogue
with Symantec Tech Support, just to get NSW2004 uninstalled, because
they say not to
install 2005 without first uninstalling 2004. And 2004 is the nearest
thing to impossible
to uninstall. They told me to use Add/Remove programs, and then Search
for everything
Symantec on my system and delete. So when I found \Program Files\Common
Files\
Symantec Shared and deleted it, a very important part of XP stopped
working, namely,
Start>>Search.....  And I've been waiting since last week for them to
get back and tell
me what to do next.

They are the most polite people in the world.....but their
documentation, when they
send you the links to it, requires page after page after page of
printout, followed
by day after day of back and forth correspondence.

I can't solve your problem, but I can warn you what to expect after you
go to
their website and, if you're lucky, manage to find a way to send them an
e-mail describing the problem. Their Knowledge Base won't do it.

Good luck!

                   William B. Lurie