[24hoursupport] Re: Windows XP Questions

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:03:29 -0500

>If memory serves me, you are a user of PC-cillin.  That is what is
>causing the problem.  To verify this for yourself simply turn off real
>time scan and do a search.  It should fly right through normally.  Now,
>to fix this so you can run real time scan and still search normally, go
>into your settings for real time scan and exclude the folder
>c:\windows\java.  Now test your search again.  It should respond
>normally.

Hi Spider,

I do, indeed, use PC-Cillin. I absolutely believe you, but there must be
something else going on with my machine. I have excluded the
C:\Windows\Java folder from real time scan, and even turned real time scan
completely off, and no matter what I search for in Explorer it very
frequently causes Explorer to stop responding. I have tried searching in
both normal as well as mounted directories, searching is a completely hit
and miss thing for me, mostly miss.

I seem to have better luck when I use the search "for documents" rather
than the search for "any file", although the search, even when it works, is
painfully, horrifically, ludicrously slow. Searching for "any file" almost
always results in Explorer going unresponsive though.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at