[24hoursupport] Windows XP Questions

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:02:15 -0500

Hello Group,

A couple of questions for you all regarding Windows XP Professional.

First, is there any way to completely turn off the thumbnailing function in
Explorer? I have had it turned off in my normal image storage directories,
but starting tonight for some reason some of the folders are again
automatically creating thumbnails. I have image viewing and cataloging
software that does a much better job and don't want or need thumbnails in
Explorer just wasting disk storage space.

Second, does anyone else have problems with the search function in Windows
Explorer? I find that it is unbearably slow and more often than not causes
Explorer to stop responding. I have a P3 1GHz with 256MB RAM, so it should
be relatively speedy, and under no circumstances should doing a search
crash Explorer. Bugs in Explorer, or something specific to my machine?

Thanks for any help.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at