[24hoursupport] Vanishing text in Windows 9x

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 12:19:50 -0800

Hi Folks:

Let me add a warning to those who tinker with desktop properties. It is
possible to select, say, white text and a white background without being
aware of what you have done. This will cause text to become invisible,
except when you pass the cursor over an icon or scroll down in a menu.

If you are like me, it may cost you more time than you want to spend to
identify your mistake and rectify it. Meanwhile, the file structure with basic
icons will remain in place with folder and file titles missing. This will give
you plenty of time to consider the horrible possibility that you may have
corrupted your files and must reformat your HD and reinstall everything.

So if Windows text disappears, stop, think, and return to the desktop
properties menu where you were working prior to your trouble. Beware
of any setting which would make text the same color as its background.

Paul King

At 07:17 AM 11/2/02 -0800, you wrote:

>Greetings Ron:
>
>Thanks for the advice (and why didn't I think of it myself?) I am still
>helping my friend of more than 50 years with his new computer which
>came with Win XP. He's a fast learner. I'm also getting a good intro to
>XP which will get me off to a running start when I replace my own unit.
>
>Paul King
>
>At 08:18 PM 11/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
> >

> > >Can someone guide me to the control for increasing and decreasing
> > >type size on the Win XP desktop? Some of it is as difficult to read as
> > >the phone directory or a city map.
> >
> >Hello Paul,
> >
> >Right click anywhere on the desktop itself. From the pop-up menu that=
> >  opens, select properties. On the dialog screen that pops up, click on the=
> >  Appearance tab. Then click on the Advanced button that appears in the=
> >  lower right corner. Now, on the screen that pops up, select the item you=
> >  want to alter from the drop-down list. The list defaults to "Desktop".
> You=
> >  are probably looking for Icon, so drop the list and select Icon. Now, for=
> >  each item you can select from the list, various other controls on this=
> >  screen will become active. When you select "Icon" from the drop-down
> list,=
> >  the font selector and size controls become active. You can choose a=
> >  different font, and set the size there.
> >
> >One other note, there is no one-click way to return to the default values=
> >  (that I know of), so you may want to write down what the settings were=
> >  before you change them so you can easily revert if you ever decide to.
> >
> >HTH,
> >
> >Ron
> >
> >- Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
> >24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
> >Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
> >http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/24hrsupport.htm.
>
>- Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
>24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
>Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/24hrsupport.htm.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at