[24hoursupport] Re: Upgrading from win98 to WIN XP

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: George Cham <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:01:13 -0600

GC> I am going to upgrade from win98 to WIN XP.
GC> I have been advised to buy the upgrade of WIN XP.

GC> If when upgrading, Will it save my current settings?
GC> And if later on I decide to reformat and reinstall windows, Can I still use
GC> WIN XP upgrade?

Hello George,

Yes, it will save most if not all of your settings. I haven't heard of
any problems.

Yes, you will be able to reinstall Windows XP from scratch using the
upgrade provided
you have a valid CD from a supported previous version of Windows. That
means either Windows 2000 or Windows ME, I'm afraid; I don't believe
you can upgrade to XP from Windows 98. If I'm wrong about this, I'm
sure someone here will correct me (I'm sure the answer is on the
system requirements for XP on the MS site too).

HTH,