[24hoursupport] Re: USB ports

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:48:10 -0600

> My new pentium 4 HP has 6 usb 2.0 ports.
> I use an extention hub to plug in most of my
> usb equipment (printers,
> scanners,zip drive).
> Does it make a difference if I use one port
> with the extension or should I use
> the other ports and spreasd it arround? Is
> there a limit to how many devices I
> can put in one usb port?

Hello Steve,

Here is the answer from the USB FAQ found at http://www.usb.org/faq/

Technically, you can connect up to 127 individual USB peripherals at one=
 time. Due to the fact that some devices reserve USB bandwidth, the=
 practical maximum of devices is less than the theoretical maximum.=
 However, PCI-USB add-in cards provide an independent USB bus to which even=
 more peripherals can be connected.

So the limit is somewhere around 127 devices, and if my understanding is=
 correct each hub you chain onto a single USB port from the machine counts=
 as a device. That's probably plenty for most of us :)

HTH,

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at