[24hoursupport] Re: Transferring licensed application software

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

 Other programs that 'phone home':
Ghost Surf. Even if all I do is run a backup restore, using Drive Image to
restore a direct exact copy from my backup hard drive to my daily use hard
drive, GhostSurf somehow always detects it and wants me to reenter my email
address and software key to reactivate it.

Zone Alarm. There was a report a day or two ago that Zone Alarm was
purchasedby a company located in Israel, and that ZA is suspected of doing
double-duty as spyware for Israeli concerns now. It also said the quality of
ZA's performance has dropped since the buyout/takeover, and that a good
alternative was Kirio Personal Firewall 4. In the same report, someone
suggested just using an older version of ZA, but I decided to be done with
itand unloaded ZA immediately.

To the gentleman who got a larger hard drive and ran into wierd problems, I
would suggest getting a copy of Drive Image, and burn a complete copy of
youroperating system and everything else, onto a multiple cd set, as a
permanent backup copy. You can then do a complete restore at any time. Drive
Image also has an editing feature, that even if the cd set is in compressed
form, you can go into Drive Image edit mode, and retrieve individual files
asneeded from your cd set.

Maybe Drive Image also supports dvd burners now. If so, same difference.
Alsoget the fastest cd or dvd burner you can afford to go with all this;
it'sa big help.

--- "Paul M. King peking7-at-mindspring.com |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"

From: "Paul M. King peking7-at-mindspring.com |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<...>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:09:27 -0700
To: ........................
Subject: [24hoursupport] Re: Transferring licensed application software

Ron:

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I, too, have transferred my
applicationsfrom computer to computer through ownership of four since 1990.
Ihave never been challenged nor have I run into an instance of a program
"reporting back" to its creator/proprietor that it was being installed on
another machine.

I avoid piracy, but sometimes have had an uneasy feeling about my own
practices for software applications.

This problem often solves itself in that a new computer means a new
operatingsystem and updated proprietary applications which require fees to
download. This tends to keep one honest just to stay current with technical
advances.

I am aware, however, that most software developers include clauses in their
registration agreements warning against running a single paid application on
two or more computers. These clauses usually threaten punitive legal action
for piracy and the language is particularly strong if a proprietary
operatingsystem is involved.

In Googling for comments germaine to the guy who runs a computer or two at
home, I was surprised at how little I found. Most of the posts are by
universities and institutions who run a large number of computers and must
constantly guard against their own staff fudging on registration agreements,
thus making the organization vulnerable to legal action.

I'm going to copy comments in this list for my friend and save hard copy for
reference. I'm hoping others may add their experiences.

PK

For a web-based membership management utility and information on list