[24hoursupport] Re: Transferring licensed application software

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:09:27 -0700

Ron:

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I, too, have transferred my applications
from computer to computer through ownership of four since 1990. I have never
been challenged nor have I run into an instance of a program "reporting back"
to its creator/proprietor that it was being installed on another machine.

I avoid piracy, but sometimes have had an uneasy feeling about my own practices
for software applications.

This problem often solves itself in that a new computer means a new operating
system and updated proprietary applications which require fees to download.
This tends to keep one honest just to stay current with technical advances.

I am aware, however, that most software developers include clauses in their
registration agreements warning against running a single paid application on
two or more computers. These clauses usually threaten punitive legal action for
piracy and the language is particularly strong if a proprietary operating
system is involved.

In Googling for comments germaine to the guy who runs a computer or two at
home, I was surprised at how little I found. Most of the posts are by
universities and institutions who run a large number of computers and must
constantly guard against their own staff fudging on registration agreements,
thus making the organization vulnerable to legal action.

I'm going to copy comments in this list for my friend and save hard copy for
reference. I'm hoping others may add their experiences.

PK