[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:18:46 EST

In a message dated 2/11/2005 4:04:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The American Musical Supply tech guy said all they would have would be what's
called a multiband denoiser, but they phased out their last one about a month
ago, because with CDs and DVDs, it's a nonexistent problem. We did try
processing the signal on computer using an expensive music software program,
but it
only reduced the hiss on the high pitch signal but not on the low pitch signal
(or was it vice-versa), which accomplished nothing and actually made the
problem stand out even worse.
    Having been in numerous recording studios over my band's past 23 year
career, I KNOW I've seen DBX rack-mount units in some of them, so I KNOW they
exist SOMEWHERE under the rainbow.  I didn't just dream them up.  See if you
have
any luck at music stores, especially those that sell recording equipment.
One about 2 miles from here is called, Piano's & Stuff. I'm sure they have an
online site, but I don't know the addy.  Another I get adverts from at least
once every other week is, zZounds.com, in Chicago.  Yes, 2 Z's at the
beginning,
first one IS lower case, but I don't think it matters when you type in the
addy.
    Also, see if Tascam/Teac has a site.  They might be able to help you out
with this.
    I KNOW there's some pretty good noise reduction equipment out there
somewhere, because I've recently been getting some cd's and albums of old
recordings that should have lots of noise in them and DON'T!  So, somebody's
got some
good stuff for such things out there.  I just finished listening to a new
Captain Beefheart "bootleg" (I think) recording of some live shows he did in
the
`70's.  They sound like someone took a portable tape recorder into the various
venues and recorded the band from the audience, not the board, and there should
be lots of noise on these tapes, but there isn't.
    Some of the filters I have on the puter are okay, for the most part, when
the sound in the recording is quite loud, but when it gets quiet, the filters
are compensating so much that they make the music sound like it's being
played under water on a turntable with a scratchy, old a sewing needle in the
tone
arm.  So, I don't even use them unless I absolutely have to.  I don't yet know
how to use an EQ, but, if I can get away with it, through trial and error,
I'll use that before I use those filters.

                            Dale