[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of ~ SparQ

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:19:33 -0800

I have several old SparQ1.0 disks and drive.

I belive they were optical disk.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 2/8/2005 at 5:42 PM chizotz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dale,

The glorified a:\ drive you saw was probably a hybrid floppy drive. For a
short while, there were disks and drives available that had both optical
and
magnetic storage. The optical part, if I recall, was WORM (Write Once Read
Many), like current CD-R technology. The magnetic part was just like floppy
drive technology. The idea was basically that you could store some
data "permanently" and unalterably on the disk, while maintaining the
flexibility of also having storage on the disk that could be altered at
will.
I may be incorrect in some particulars, I'm going by memory from many years
ago. As I recall, those drives were never very popular because while they
attempted to combine the best of both worlds they really ended up combining
the worst of both worlds, and the drives and disks were expensive to boot.

As far as "disc" v. "disk", the correct spelling is disk. Technically there
is
no word "disc", it isn't a part of the English language. Spelling it with a
instead of a k was basically just a way of setting computer "discs" apart
from
other disks.

The original question about "optical disks" v. CD technology, I have no
idea
what is being referred to as "optical disks". Optical disks are CD and DVD
as
far as I know.

HTH,