[24hoursupport] Re: Temporary Files

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 19:02:27 -0700

Hi Michele,
Here are a few programs that may help;

Before using any program be sure to read and follow the instructions.
You can use some free programs to cleanup your existing system like;
~~~~
Privacy and Security on the Internet:
History and Cache Files
http://home.mpinet.net/pilobilus/CS04.html
~~~~
HDCleaner clears the fixed disk (Win95/98/2000/NT/ME/XP)
http://www.zsoftware.de/hdcleaner_e.htm
HDCleaner clears the fixed disk and removes unnecessary file
garbage from all available drives. The most important groups
of files, about BAK, CHK, GID, ~ * *, TMP, are before-configured
already and need to be only selected. After the selection of the
desired drives HDCleaner starts scanning and searches the data .
~~~~
UltraWipe 1.5.1  Free
http://www.davecentral.com/projects/ultrawipe/
UltraWipe is an advanced Windows utility from www.RedStrike.com,
that enables complete removal of sensitive data from the hard drive
by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns while
recovering disk space.
~~~
Windows CleanUp! Utility
Version 2.0
http://cleanup.stevengould.org/
~~~
Expert Version of  "Cleanup.Bat"
http://www.langa.com/cleanup_bat_expert.htm
This free batch file can scrub your hard drive clean of many junk files,
freeing up (typically) anywhere from tens to thousands of megabytes
of otherwise-wasted disk space.

*** very good program; BUT it is capable of removing files you need.
Before using any program be sure to read and follow the instructions.
~~~
Welcome to the web-site of Disk Cleaner.
http://diskcleaner.tripod.com/
With Disk Cleaner you can easily clean up disk space that is now used
by temporary files like those in the system temporary folder,
the Internet Explorer Cache and Cookies folder, and the Recycle Bin.
~~~
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org

On 10/05/2002 at 7:53 PM michele wrote:

>>the temporary internet files are cookies, emails, programs wav's and
other=3D
 files that were downloaded.
the Temp files are files created when a program or application is=3D
 installed.<<

I guess I did know that but I'd forgotten the difference.  Those files are
making me nuts so I hope someone can help.  I'll apologize in advance for
the length of this post.

I have Win98 and IE5.  Over the past two weeks, my system has slowed down
and has begun to stutter to a stop frequently.  When it does, the cursor
freezes and Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work so I have to shut off with the power
button and then go through the blue screen and Scan Disk when I reboot.
Scan Disk has never found an error.  My resources have dropped to 52% so
I've been doing a lot of maintenance and trying to figure out what the
problem is.  Sometimes, I can hear the hard drive grinding away but I can't
see what it's doing.
SNIP

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at