[24hoursupport] Symantec and file access denied

  • From: "William B. Lurie" <billurie@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Twenty-four hour support <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:47:50 -0500

I think this is a generic problem. I've tried getting it solved
in a microsoft newsgroup without success. And Symantec
is polite as all hell but refuse to solve it.

I'm trying to uninstall Norton System Works completely.
Symantec gives me tool after tool, and message after
message, and finally there is this problem:

Working in Windows XP, I have a folder c:\ProgramFiles\Common
Files\Symantec Shared, and their instructions are to delete it.
But when it starts to delete, it stops with an error message
about "access denied". I'm alone on this system. It has no
other user or administrator. I've tried it by starting in Safe Mode,
and in Selective Start-up, loading nothing but System Services.
Symantec is polite as all git-out, but from their Tech Support,
which I believe is in India, they just never a clue as to how to
get access to files on my own system. The files aren't hidden,
I just need to get "delete" access to them.

--
                   William B. Lurie