[24hoursupport] Re: Standby malfunction

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:25:19 -0800

Hi Paul,
Windows has a habit of forgetting the 'shutdown patch' that MS created.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeat
ured/Win98SE/Default.asp>
Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
502 KB | 4 Min @ 28.8

---

Read Me First

The Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement addresses shutdown issues
on systems with specific hardware/software configurations running Windows 98
Second Edition. These issues include systems restarting when selecting
shutdown and systems hanging on shutdown.

NOTE: This supplement has been updated as of November, 1999. Please install
this latest version.

Microsoft recommends the troubleshooting steps outlined in the KB article
How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Problems. If, after
following the steps outlined in this article, the system continues to
exhibit shutdown problems, then Microsoft suggests applying this update.

Microsoft has also learned that some customers were replacing the Windows 98
Second Edition version of CONFIGMG.VXD with the Windows 98 version to
address shutdown issues. Microsoft strongly recommends that users do not do
this. This is an untested scenario that could result in blue screens, ACPI
errors and hardware failures. This update will check to see if the
appropriate version of CONFIGMG.VXD is installed on the system and replace
any older versions with the Windows 98 Second Edition version.
 ++ There is more on the web site.

I have seen a couple of systems where it needs to be downloaded and re
installed.

I recommend doing a 'Save As' when you download it so you can reapply it
again if it reoccurs.

Editor MikesWhatsNews see ~ http://www3.telus.net
See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes virus page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

On 26/11/2003 at 7:39 PM Paul M. King wrote:

List members:
A few days ago, I downloaded and installed 17 patches from Microsoft on my
WIN98SE system. I had several days of good service from the Standby
function in Start | Shut Down.

Then Standby began to malfunction and it was necessary to use the main
power switch and go through the Scan Disk drill to recover. After a few
restarts, I got a warning message which noted that Standby was
malfunctioning and asked me if I wanted to eliminate the Standby function.
I clicked on yes and both Shutdown and Restart are now working normally.

I'm using a 5-year-old Compaq. Shutting down with the main power switch
rarely causes any errors to my drives and none of the errors have been
serious. But the Scan Disk drill is a nuisance.

My question: Is there a good piece of freeware or shareware which will shut
down my system without fail while eliminating occasional annoying hangups?
I'd prefer to hear about installed and reliable shareware.

I defrag daily and hangups occur only after long sessions of web use or
manipulating my files.

PK