[24hoursupport] Standby malfunction

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:39:40 -0800

List members:
A few days ago, I downloaded and installed 17 patches from Microsoft on my
WIN98SE system. I had several days of good service from the Standby function in
Start | Shut Down.

Then Standby began to malfunction and it was necessary to use the main power
switch and go through the Scan Disk drill to recover. After a few restarts, I
got a warning message which noted that Standby was malfunctioning and asked me
if I wanted to eliminate the Standby function. I clicked on yes and both
Shutdown and Restart are now working normally.

I'm using a 5-year-old Compaq. Shutting down with the main power switch rarely
causes any errors to my drives and none of the errors have been serious. But
the Scan Disk drill is a nuisance.

My question: Is there a good piece of freeware or shareware which will shut
down my system without fail while eliminating occasional annoying hangups? I'd
prefer to hear about installed and reliable shareware.

I defrag daily and hangups occur only after long sessions of web use or
manipulating my files.

PK

-- Type: text/plain