[24hoursupport] Solution to zero length files clogging C:\windows\temp

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:08:21 -0800

oftRon:

Thanks for your thoughtful tips on my problem. You were right. Norton
caused the mess,
not a virus. I have deleted Norton SystemWorks 2002, but still have some
manual cleanup to get to the seat of the wnk*.tmp files which continue to
breed. I just checked system.ini,
but suspect there are entries in my registry to be deleted, too.

I told you that I dragged C:\windows\temp to my taskbar to keep an eye on
what was
going on. It revealed almost immediately some NAV and other files I
recognized as
Norton's along with the wnk*temp entries..

This is he final straw with Norton. I dumped it five years ago because it
was messing
with other programs. I thought mistakenly that they would have surely
removed the bugs
in the intervening time. No such luck. It's worse if anything and I am out
$30 I spent for
a "bargain" deal a couple of months ago.

I have installed and begun using Grisoft's AVG6.0, an excellent piece of
freeware which
also has a paid professional version. It found a trojan horse for me
immediately that had
been in my MIRC file for months, overlooked by both Norton and the Mijenix
FixIt Utilities
which I used earlier for several years.

Grisoft offers no tech aid on their freebie, but it is so clean and well
documented that I don't
think contact with techies will be necessary for experienced users. Grisoft
has a good FAQ
on the web and a place to make input if you are satisfied with deferred
response.

I resent the time and money spent with Norton. My initial experience cost
me many hours
of frustration and in comparison I am lucky to escape this time with
minimal loss of time.
Charging for tech aid stinks, especially the exorbitant rates. I didn't use
the pay service.

I'll keep you posted on my search for vestiges of Norton files in my
system. Uninstalling
is insufficient and I had to go through my files with a fine-toothed comb
to find the detritus
left behind.

Now if I can just find a good shareware defragger ............

Paul King

-- Type: text/plain

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
http://webpages.charter.net/chizotz/