[24hoursupport] Re: Should I run XP?

  • From: "Gene" <Build_A_Computer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:46:25 -0500

Hi Mike,

I have a computer here that has a Celeron 600, 128 RAM, (2) 8.4GB hard
drives running XP.  :-(  I previously had 98 SE on this and it ran like a
champ.  After the "upgrade?" to XP, it's runs like a chump!  I should have
left well enough alone.  My new policy:  If it's not broken, don't try to
fix it!

I have three other computers here running XP (Pentium 3, 1.333 MHz; Pentium
4, 2.4 and 2.8 MHz) and they all have 512 or more RAM, because they don't
function well with less.  I have 4 computers running 98SE with 128 RAM or
less and they work great.  I have 1 running ME and I should have left well
enough alone and stayed with the 98SE on that one.

When the 98SE & ME messes up on occasion, I back up the data and do an
overinstall (upgrade, not a new clean install) and have not lost any data
and didn't have to reinstall any programs.

 A Technical Support Alliance, ITU & OWTA Charter Member -:¦:-
 24HourSupport * AHH * Build_A_Computer * Computer_Builders2
 CHAD * CHOL * ComputerSupport_2 * Computer_Tricks_and_Tips
 EZ2Compute * ITU * Linspire * OWTA * PC-Technical * Pro_Tech
 SkyMaps * TechSupportForDummies * Web_Help * WEMRM -:¦:-
 IP address:  24.2.165.6 * ©2005 * http://tinyurl.com/59u43 -:¦:-