[24hoursupport] Re: Security Decisions

  • From: chizotz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:14:10 +0000

Hi Mike,

There are several points that really upsets me about this situation.

First, in my opinion it is _never_ acceptable for a company to require that a
competing product be removed before it will install. I understand, perhaps
better than most, how that can put companies between a rock and a hard place,
but it is simply, utterly unacceptable in my opinion. The real rub is that
Zone Alarm charges a fee for their upgrade/update program, and that this
requirement was _not_ a part of the deal when I purchased the product. They
made a unilateral decision to include functionality that a competing product
interferes with, and, rather than offer an option for a version of their
product without that problem or any of the other possibilities open to them,
they are forcing all of their customers to either comply or do without the
upgrade they have paid for. In this case, complying with the requirement Zone
Alarm is imposing will cost me the licensing fee I've paid to their
competitor, Trend Micro, which they do not propose to compensate me for --
much less tell me what I'm supposed to do about an Anti-Virus solution to
replace Trend Micro that is as good or better than Trend Micro.

In my opinion, Zone Alarm has no business integrating any Anti-Virus
functionality into their firewall product that might interfere with competing
Anti-Virus packages. Likewise, Trend Micro has no business integrating
firewall functionality into their Anti-Virus product that might interfere with
competing firewall pakages. If either or both of these companies want to
produce software that competes with the other, that's great! But they should
not be allowed to bundle these products together, forcing their customers to
have to make a choice between them. Each product should be able to compete
directly with the other; let the user decide if they want the Zone Alarm
firewall and the Trend Micro AV, or the Zone Alarm firewall and Norton AV, or
the Trend Micro firewall and McAfee AV, or _whatever_ combination the user
chooses.

This bundling of different software in one package has gotten way, way out of
hand. It introduces all sorts of problems, such as filesize and resource
requirement bloat when the user really only wants and needs a particular piece
of a software package; the consumer buys a particular piece of software as the
best solution to a particular problem, but is forced to take a lot of other,
perhaps useless (to that consumer), junk along with it. Now we're seeing
competing products actually requiring that their competetor's product be
uninstalled to function which simply can _not_ be good for competition nor for
the consumers who are affected.

I'm a consumer. I don't want Trend Micro's firewall, I want Zone Alarm which I
believe to be the best firewall solution. I don't want Zone Labs Anti-Virus, I
want Trend Micro which I believe to be the best AV solution. That's why I paid
money to both companies, and that's why I'm the loser, no matter which way you
look at it or which way I go, when these companies bundle their products
together and force the consumer to take it or leave it.

OK, rant over... for the moment.

Ron