[24hoursupport] Re: Security Decisions

  • From: "Spider" <spider1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:34:06 -0400

Ron,
I read your "rant" :-) and you do make some good points.  I even understand
what you are getting at.  I suspect there MIGHT be a way to have both
actually.  I've not tried it, but what I think you could do is install Trend
Internet Security first without Zone Alarm being present.  Then look in the
folder that Trend installs to and you will find a file called PCCTool.exe.
Run that and go to the Uninstall tab and you will see a button to "Uninstall
Firewall".  After doing that, I would think you could then install Zone
Alarm Pro.  This is by the way one of my complaints with Trend.  I think
they should give you the option during setup as to whether or not you want
the firewall instead of forcing the install and then making you use an
undocumented diagnostic tool to remove it.  It smacks of Norton tricks.  I
hope it does not become a habit with Trend.  I understand the need to dumb
down the installation for novice's but that does not mean they can't put an
advanced button in their setup to allow custom installs.

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

http://spider1.blogspot.com/

http://erablog.net/blogs/Spider1/