[24hoursupport] Re: SBWatchdog.exe

  • From: bls <brenna_99_ca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 00:06:19 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It doesn't appear to be a part of the SoundBlaster
> installation after all.
> Following a trail on a Google search led me to a
> page where someone listed
> the contents of their SBUtils directory:
>
> CPS DUN 637 08-14-99 10:17a CPS.dun
> DPC DUN 1,154 08-14-99 10:17a DPC.dun <snip>

All that stuff is exactly what is in that folder in my
computer.:)

> DUN stands for "dial up networking", and I now
> believe this is either some
> kind of modem utility directory or a replacement for
> Windows standard DUN
> or some program that connects to the Interenet or
> another site by dialing
> it up. <snip>

>... tells me that this is a Microsoft Phonebook file
(as
> my nephew says,
> boooor-ring!). But as a phonebook entry file with
> "reg" in it suggests that
> this may be some kind of registration wizard dialer.
>
> If your SBUtils directory has all this stuff in it,
> chances are that it is
> relatively harmless; Trojans and other malware are
> not normally this
> involved because it is too conspicuous. Not that I
> would suggest letting
> whatever it is dial out without knowing more about
> it, but it is likely you
> are right that it is something loaded as a part of
> the Packard-Bell
> reinstall disk and is probably safe to delete from
> your startup list.

I remember icons on my desktop regarding registering
for gifts (for which no one in Canada qualified <g>),
yes, this does make sense.  I don't think it has ever
tried to do anything in the way of making contact on
its own.  When I had ZoneAlarm, it never showed any
program like that trying to do anything.  I think I
will remove the check from that item in the startup
list.  Thanks for your help.

Brenna

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at