[24hoursupport] Re: Resize partition?

  • From: Lene Pagsuguiron <lpagsugu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:49:49 -0700 (PDT)

I think I missed Bram's post.  Anyway, I'm sorry I forgot to mention this, but
I am running FAT32.  I thought you couldn't run Win98SE in NTFS (you might be
able to using Partition Magic, I'm not sure).  I also think I remember that
with NTFS you get greater security and it manages files better.  Well, it's too
late, anyway, I don't want to have to format again. Ron, I always save to the
larger hard drive (which is the default C:).  I constantly remind my sisters
that if they want to download anything, they have to save it to either the C:
or D: (the external hard drive).  As for the swap file and PM, I think I read
in the user manual for PM8 that it doesn't partition external drives?  Or maybe
I'm thinking removable media?  What are my other options?  I deleted all the
backup for C:(98SE) that was on the D: (XP), but I see that there is a Program
Files folder as well that has IE as well as other folders.  If I move that to
the C folder, all I would have to do is update desktop icons and startmenu
items?  I think moving that whole folder (Program Files) might give me extra
room, especially since when I do Disk Cleanup (every night for D), a lot of
files are in Temp Internet.  What do you think?  Thanks for your help!
Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lene: I see nothing wrong with either re-sizing the
partition or leaving it as it is. As Bram basically said,
it depends on how you use your computer. By default,
Windows will install software to your C:\Program Files
directory, which is most likely on the same partition. The
question is, will you have enough room or will you always
install your programs to another partition? Also, by
default the Windows "swap file" will be created in the
root of your boot directory, and that is also a
consideration because not having enough room for that will
impact performance. I suggest using PM to create a
partition for the swap file on a physically seperate drive
from your boot drive, if you have a physically seperate
drive to create a partition for this.

HTH,