[24hoursupport] Re: Reformat Dell with XP

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:15:06 -0800

Hi Paul,
If you have the XP CD, you could try reinstalling the program.

Try to avoid the update route it will eventualy cause problems.

Make sure you have the drivers saved for the devices on the computer, they
may be Dell specific.
see; http://www.drivershq.com/

DriverGuide Toolkit
http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/
is especially helpful in situations where you have a computer in your
possession and the internal hardware is unknown. DriverGuide Toolkit can
identify the hardware on the system and the associated drivers, back them up
to a specified location, and find the latest driver updates for them.
DriverGude Toolkit is even network compatible - you can just as easily
connect to a remote computer on your network, backup drivers, and find
updates!

Another alternative is to pick up a new hard drive, the 20 gig one are quite
inexpensive these days and replace the one in the computer and boot from the
XP Cd it is bootable follow the on screen prompts.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 12/6/2004 at 1:58 PM Paul M. King wrote:

Greetings Folks:

My hard disk began acting up after I installed MS SP2 over an OEM WINXP
Home operating system. The installation is on a Dell Dimension 4600.

Now a Dell techie tells me I must uninstall SP2 to find out whether it is
the cause of my grief. I agree that will work for diagnosis, but it also
leads to a lot of hours to reinstall and follow a special Dell procedure to
get the OS to work with the SP2 security patch.

This is true of all Dell units with XP Home shipped before July of 2004.
Each is in conflict with SP2.

Trouble symptoms include flashing of the HD activity light, hearing the
unit arm seeking when normally it is very quiet, and freezing of the screen
which can be fixed only by flipping the power switch off and on to reboot.

I'm not satisfied that there are no other options for me. I was performing
a clean install and partitioning and had only reloaded three or four
applications when the screen first froze. My old configuration is safely
backed up, but not cloned as I only recently acquired Disk Magic.

I'm hoping someone here has had a similar experience with conflict between
OEM disk restoration of WINXP Home and SP2 and can point me in the right
direction.

The repair and restore directions at a Dell website are lengthy and
complex. It would take hours to execute them.

Makes one wonder why a guy who had a stable system running on one partition
ever thought he needed multiple partitions in the first place. :--{

Paul King