[24hoursupport] Re: Protecting compressed file with a Password WinXP

  • From: "Spider" <spider1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 17:18:14 -0400

George,
I'm a little confused as to how you are password protecting files with
Windows XP.  I can understand how you do it if you are within software
like Word or Excel.  There you certainly can set passwords to restrict
access to the document.  In Windows XP you only have file level security
if you are using the NTFS file system.  The security is that you grant
permission's to users and/or groups.  One can give varied access to
different people.  You might grant full access to some and read rights
to others etc.  Those you grant full access to can delete and edit the
file and those you grant read access to can only read the file.  I know
of no other way to have file level security in Windows XP.  As for the
compressed folders, I think (not positive) that the compressed folders
are simply Microsoft's version of Winzip.  If you compress with a
password you could email that to someone with Winzip and they could only
open the file if they have the password.  But without file level
security, that zip file could be deleted by anyone with access to the
system.