[24hoursupport] Pocket PC

  • From: chizotz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:01:05 +0000

Hello Folks,

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes. In my case, it is not at all
severe yet, and can be controlled through diet and exercise (or so they tell
me). The regimen for this entails detailed logging of everything consumed and
the nutritional content and when eaten, what excercise performed and for how
long and pulse rate achieved, and, just to make things more interesting, the
results of finger-stick blood glucose tests several times a day and the times
of the tests.

That's a lot of logging of a lot of stuff, and I've never been one to keep a
diary much less a detailed one like this needs to be.

However, I _am_ one to turn to technology for answers to problems like this :)

And so... I am now in the market for a Pocket PC, which I will carry with me
and mainly use to log all this stuff. I want a good or very good unit, top of
the line or pretty near, probably, that will last me for some years. And I'm
only interested in units that run the Windows CE OS that I can program for
using Visual Studio .NET. No point having this nifty computer if I can't write
my own software for it :) Although there are commercial database products
available for diabetes management, I'll probably end up rolling my own.

I'm just starting to look, but this is a different world than the desktop PC
world I'm used to and I admit to some initial confusion. I'd appreciate any
suggestions for specific brands and models and any advice on specs and
features to look for.

One question I have already, HP apparently produces some units that use
the "Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PC, Professional Second Edition"
OS. Is this Windows CE? Can I program for this using VS.NET? This is totally
uncharted waters for me, and I have no clue yet what to even be looking for.

Thanks!

Ron