[24hoursupport] Re: PayPal

  • From: chizotz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:38:17 +0000

Sounds like it could be someone on a phishing expedition to me.

Typically, phishers will send out bulk email with a message that will concern
or alarm the recipient regarding their financial account somewhere. The email
will contain a link to go and "fix" or "confirm" something, but it doesn't
actually lead to the real site of the legitimate business. The unsuspecting
user follows the link, sees a web site that certainly appears to be the real
thing (but is NOT), enters their username and password, and boom, the phishers
now have access to your logon information and can use and abuse your account
at will.

Don't EVER follow links in emails like this. Always go directly to the site in
question using your known URL for them if you need to verify the claims or
change anything. Be very wary of anything you receive from any company that
looks official but is out of the ordinary or seems strange in any way.

I hope you haven't inadvertently compromised your PayPal account already.

As far as quitting PayPal, I suppose it depends on how much you use it. If it
would be no hardship for you, then if you don't have an account you can't be
compromised. Otherwise, just be careful :)

Ron