[24hoursupport] PC-Cillin 2004 -- CAUTION!

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, 24hrsupporthelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:49:01 -0600

I am disgusted.

Tonight, I got a pop-up message that appeared to use the Windows
Messenger service that has been abused by spammers urging me to update
my virus protection. This happened several times in a row, and, thinking it was
the spam that has raised so many problems recently, I dismissed it
each time. Then, of course, I set about finding out how this junk got
through my defenses, which consisted of PC-Cillin 2003, Zone Alarm
Pro, and a hardware firewall in the form of a gateway router.

Turns out that the pop-up message was from Trend Micro, which I
discovered by trying to update my virus patterns which immediately
displayed the pop-up again. The message in the pop-up said that my
virus protection expired today. Always suspicious of this kind of
thing, I checked my records and, sure enough, it was exactly one year
ago that I bought the last version of PC-Cillin. OK, so far so good,
although I was a little put out that they gave me so much warning. But
OK.

Naturally, I immediately went to the Trend Micro web site and
purchased the upgrade to PC-Cillin 2004, downloaded the file, and
started to install it.

Folks, the PC-Cillin 2004 install **REMOVES** Zone Alarm Pro from your
system and installs it's own firewall. When you go to disable the
PC-Cillin firewall, it warns you that all network security is also
disabled.

I find this totally unacceptable. Unless someone here can explain to
me why I should accept this intrusive and invasive attempt to dictate
to me what software I can and can not have installed on my system, I
intend to call them tomorrow morning and demand my money back. This
may well be followed by calls and/or letters to the Better Business
Bureau and whatever other agency I can think of to complain to,
especially if they give me even the slightest hassle about a refund.

Beware of PC-Cillin 2004. I will report back here if I find that this
warning is unwarranted... but I don't see now how it could be.