[24hoursupport] Re: OpenOffice install problem

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:07:58 -0700

Not sure exactly what you're asking for. I've lost what OS you're
using--WinXP? If you're in Win98 or at least a preXP install, you can
boot into dos and do it from there. You're trying to delete a file,
right? DOS mode won't start the Win components that would "be in use."
Another option is to run EndItAll to shut off all non essential
programs. It's a free download--google for enditall2.

You have scanned for viruses and spyware, right?

If you really want to do it in DOS, you'll need to find the file and
change its attributes so it's not a read only, hidden, system file. You
can do all this with attrib--read your dos book for instructions. You'll
see that in DOS file names are restricted to an 8.3 character length, so
Program Files becomes progra~1 or some such thing. You should have no
problem finding c:\windows\system though or system32. Minimal DOS help
can be found by typing the dos command followed by /?. For example to
find help with attrib, do attrib /?. You do need a space between the
command and the question mark. Dos parameters follow a forward slash
usually. (Oops, no periods in the command).

If you can find the file in Windows, right click on the file and get its
details. If it's a read only or hidden file, you can simple uncheck
those attributes. Don't forget that you can do a lot of things in
Safemode. That will also stop a lot of things from being loaded.

Good luck -- Douglas

--
** Remove the anti-virus footer, ads, and this line and everything below when
replying **

please see http://www.freelists.org/webpage/24hoursupport