[24hoursupport] Re: Nice tip

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:23:28 -0500

If your keyboard has the Windows key you can minimize all applications by
using WinKey + M .  If you just want to access your desktop for something
and then go right back to the application you were in use WinKey + D as a
toggle, click once to view your desktop, and click WinKey + D again to go
back to whatever app you were in.
The Start/Run/. on my machine, Windows 2000Pro brought up the contents of my
C drive rather than my desktop content.
But you can always store any shortcut to any folder or app in the quick
launch tray of your taskbar and it would always be accessible.

Pam

> Heh. I think I'd have to call that one an 'Easter egg'. It
> doesn't work in
> WinXP (just brings up explorer), and as has been pointed out the 'show
> desktop' icon on the quicklaunch bar only takes one click. Any
> decent macro
> program will allow you to assign this to a single keypress - I use
> alt-space in Macro Express.
>
> A much better idea is to not put any icons on your desktop. What good are
> they if you gotta move windows to get to them? With an auto-hide
> always-on-top taskbar they're all a single click away on the quicklaunch
> bar no matter what you're running.
>

> >Here 's a nice tip for you folks.
> >To access the icons on your desktop without having to close all of the
> >open windows, select the Start menu, Run, then type a period (.) with no
> >parenthesis, and press Enter
> >Source:    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,14464,00.asp

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at