[24hoursupport] Re: Netiquette; smilie :)

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:22:19 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2005 10:20:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Well, (: does kind of look like a 'right brain' smilie to everyone e= lse's
left brain one.
Great! Now I've got two ways...:)

Thanks! (:

Sure, no problem.  But, I'll tell you why I use the (-: version exclusively,
except when I want it to be a broad smile, in which case I can ONLY use :-D.
About two years ago I was trying for an air shift on a local college station
and wrote to the general manager of the station.  He wrote back what was
supposed to be a funny response to what I just wrote him, but, it was done in a
sarcastic kind of way.  He included the little smiley face, but I never saw it
until days later when I wrote him to calmly complain about the snide remark and
he told me that it was just a joke and asked if I saw the smiley face at the
end of it that proves that it was a joke.  I opened up that e-mail again and
looked all over for the smiley, and, after about the third time through I saw
:),
but it right after the end of a line of text, so it looked like this:)  I
mistook this for a typo, as if he added a closed parenthesis but had no opener
and accidentally hit the colon as well instead of the period.  They ARE one on
top of the other.  So, I figured it would make a LOT more sense and prevent
tons of mishaps of this nature if the smiley went this way (-: instead.  Since
they are hardly ever used within a sentence, it can't be misconstrued as a typo
to have it at the end in this way. (-:
    So, I've been making sure they go that way when I type them ever since.
Even though I've had a few people ask me why I make them backwards, I still
make them this way.  And, if for no other reason, it's different.  Just call me
the black sheep.  I march to the beat of a different drummer because I AM a
different drummer.  (-;

                            Dale