[24hoursupport] Re: Need Bad Web Sites (really!)

  • From: "Hugh Vandervoort" <hughv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:19:52 -0400

Remember, edit replies.

Ethically, you could compare this to an autopsy, I suppose. The (near) dead
teach the living, but they deserve some respect.
I'm glad you're considering all the issues, not just the re-design.
That said, I would imagine the teacher has some experience in this field by
now and may be able to offer some guidance.
If approached properly, I would assume the owner would be eager to work with
you, as he obviously has no clue about site design. You might want to refer
him to something like the Yale Style manual for web design to back up your
suggestions.
http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/contents.html
Good luck-keep us posted if you have time.

The idea is to just do it as an exercise, but I had the same thoughts you
did. I hate to see the work we'll be doing, well, not go to waste, exactly,
but be just an intellectual exercise. On the other hand, I'm not sure how
the matter could be approached with the site owner without causing offense,
at the very least.

I may bring the issue up to the group or perhaps the entire class. Part of
the class is the ethics of web design and use, and I've had some mild
misgivings about this use of a third-party web site from the beginning. The
work was assigned by the teacher, and so I must presume that it is both
legal and ethical to "borrow" a web site in this way for class work. Still,
in a way this doesn't quite "feel right" to me.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at