[24hoursupport] Re: Need Bad Web Sites (really!)

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:05:28 -0700

Remember, edit replies.

Hi Ron,
I looked into taking a web design course at one point, till I found out how
much of it I would have to pay<g>

The fellow who gave the presentation told us we would have to create a
commercial web site as part of our instruction.
It would be our term paper as it were.

He suggested that we find a local company our business with a 'Bad' web
page, and when we finished the course/page we could offer our services to
the business.

It sounded like a good idea.

Mike ~ www.mwn.ca
Remembering 911 and all who were lost or lost family/friends
Respecting the heros of  Flight 93 'Let's Roll'

On 11/09/2002 at 8:53 PM Ron Allen wrote:

Remember, edit replies.

I'm curious. Are you going to work with the site owner or just do this as
an excercise? It would be a shame to do all that work and let it go to
waste.

On the other hand, I would like to meet the diplomat who talks the owner
into a re-design.

The idea is to just do it as an exercise, but I had the same thoughts you
did. I hate to see the work we'll be doing, well, not go to waste, exactly,
but be just an intellectual exercise. On the other hand, I'm not sure how
the matter could be approached with the site owner without causing offense,
at the very least.

I may bring the issue up to the group or perhaps the entire class. Part of
the class is the ethics of web design and use, and I've had some mild
misgivings about this use of a third-party web site from the beginning. The
work was assigned by the teacher, and so I must presume that it is both
legal and ethical to "borrow" a web site in this way for class work. Still,
in a way this doesn't quite "feel right" to me.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at