[24hoursupport] Re: .NET Framework Service Pack 2 Not Installing

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 20:28:59 -0500

>quotes).  You must have your XP CD in the drive when running this.  If
>that does not cure the problem, then I would move on to the repair
>option.  That is the one where you boot to the XP CD and run setup as
>though you were doing a new install.  Skip by the first repair option
>and choose the second repair option.  It is a little more intrusive then
>the sfc but you still do not have to re-install all of your software.
>The main downside to the repair option is that you have to re-apply
>critical updates.  Just a note, I would have considered recommending a
>system restore but we don't have any idea what is wrong and when it
>happened.  Good luck...

Hi Spider,

I tried the sfc and it ran for awhile and then seemed to just disappear, no
report either good or bad.

So I went ahead and took the other path you suggested, and booted to the
CD, took the option to install as if from scratch, and then elected to
repair the installation. It took over and hour to get back to normal,
except my sound is now gone. Probably need to reinstall the SB Audigy
drivers, and I expect that to not be a big deal.

Then I went to the Windows update site and tried to install the .NET
Framework SP2 again. It looked to run fine, although very very slowly,
until the progress bar as at 100% and then it seemed to lock. It took
almost 4 hours to reach that point, with regular but not constant hard
drive activity the whole time. Then the hard drive activity stopped for
over 20 minutes and it seemed locked.

I rebooted and tried running the install from the file, and I'm back to
where I was to start with and it seems to lock after a few minutes.

I'll try the whole process again tomorrow or the next day, as soon as I get
the time, and not go to the web update but try from the download file.
Unless you have additional suggestions :)

Thanks,

Ron

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at