[24hoursupport] Re: .NET Framework Service Pack 2 Not Installing

  • From: "Spider" <spider1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 08:26:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: 24hoursupport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:24hoursupport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ron Allen
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 1:23 AM
To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [24hoursupport] Re: .NET Framework Service Pack 2 Not
Installing

Unfortunately, that site just links back to the Microsoft pages that
I've already tried :( Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ron,

A newsgroup search using my Copernic tool only came up with a couple of
posts with people having problems.  One of them got no joy from his
post.  Another was told not to install this via terminal services but
rather to install it directly on the workstation and this resolved his
problem.  He had been trying to install it over terminal services.

I could not find anything dealing with problems installing this on the
Microsoft site.  The best I could come up with is this FAQ:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/sp/faq.asp

It might give you some hints as there are other links within the .net
framework site that I did not explore.  Now let's go over your problem a
little even though we can not find anything that addresses it.  I think
you should approach this as an Operating System problem.  Why?  Because
what else is there?  You've got everything else shut down.  I would run
the system file checker first.  In case you are not familiar with this,
it is run from the command prompt by typing "sfc /scannow" (without the
quotes).  You must have your XP CD in the drive when running this.  If
that does not cure the problem, then I would move on to the repair
option.  That is the one where you boot to the XP CD and run setup as
though you were doing a new install.  Skip by the first repair option
and choose the second repair option.  It is a little more intrusive then
the sfc but you still do not have to re-install all of your software.
The main downside to the repair option is that you have to re-apply
critical updates.  Just a note, I would have considered recommending a
system restore but we don't have any idea what is wrong and when it
happened.  Good luck...

Spider
Largo, Florida 33771
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1