[24hoursupport] Re: My first posting

  • From: "Beaney, Derek" <Derek.Beaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:12:37 -0400

I was wondering why you are using a boot manager..

I remember searching and searching... I found boot magic.. and ended up
hosing my system (before I knew about fdisk /mbr)

if you are trying to install Linux it comes with its own boot manager ...
lilo and grub... both do a good job..

and if you want to make the install easier use partition magic. take your
current drive and resize it let say u have a  20 gig hdd and you want to use
3 gigs for Linux.  resize the 20 gig to 17 gigs.. and leave the remaining 3
gigs as unallocated space (don't try to make them into a Linux file system)

when u install Linux ... it will find the unallocated space and install its
self to it..