[24hoursupport] Re: Moving files from WIN98se to WINxp

  • From: "Barry Cornford" <cornyb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:51:54 +1000

Pull the old hard drive out
And place it in your new machine either as Secondary Drive on the Primary
IDE
Or Master or Secondary Drive on the Secondary IDE
If it is a Secondary on the Primary you will need to alter the Jumper to
Slave.
If it is the only drive on the Secondary IDE it won't matter

Friends:

Attempts to move my files by serial cable have failed. I am now faced with
moving files with incompatible discs. My old computer is equipped with a
3.5" floppy drive (1.44 megs) and a Zip drive (100 megs). It has a CD drive
with no burner.

Trouble is, some of my files are way too large to move in one chunk and the
alternative is tedious. My new Dell has 3.5" floppy and CD drives with a
burner incorporated in the latter.

The 3.5" drives are compatible, but much too small. And there lies the
problem.

Have any of you dealt with similar dilemmas?

In addition, I have NoteTab Pro 4.83 on a disk. I later upgraded this to
NTB 4.91/np on my old computer. I am not sure if I can install 4.83 on the
new Dell and then upgrade to the latest version of NTB or not. Jody should
know.

And there is still another similar problem with MB 3.1/rvm which needs to
be moved from old to new computer along with voluminous files accumulated
over several years. I also will be updating MB to the latest version in the
new unit.

I thought there might be a way to link the two computer by cable so that I
could at least move files from the old computer to the cd burner in the new
unit, but haven't found it. Any light anyone can shed on these problems
will be appreciated.

An external CD burner would help, but I hate to spend the dough. I could
move the
old HD into an empty bay in the new Dell unit. But that would take some
serious
study and perhaps destroy what's left of my brain. And then there's

Paul King

For a web-based membership management utility and information on list