[24hoursupport] Mail Rules Question

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 13:38:27 -0500

Hello Group,

My other problems with the .NET patch and sound card have not gone away,
but I'll eventually squash those with a reformat and reinstall.

In the meantime, I have another question that has been nagging me for
awhile and I'd like to get it squared away too. This one is about mail
rules, specifically in Calypso (I won't touch Outlook Express).

I have a whole set of rules, about 40 or so, set up already and they more
or less work fine. What most of them do is filter messages as they come in
to appropriate folders for organizational purposes. For example, I have a
24HourHelpDesk folder where all the messages to this group automatically
get filtered.

Sometimes list members may send me private emails, but leave the subject
from the list intact, and some list members have their own folders and
rules in my email setup. For example, if Spider replies to me privately on
a message posted to the list, I want that to filter to my Spider folder and
not the 24HourHelpDesk folder. So what I've done is made the 24HelpDesk
rule say that if the To, Copy, or Reply-To field contains
24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, filter it to the 24HourHelpDesk folder but if
the message is From spider1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then filter it to the Spider
folder. This works, since the mail list messages are normally To
24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I can't use the Subject field to filter on
because even though the list manager software always makes sure that
messages to the list contain [24hoursupport] in the subject, individuals
from the list may send me private messages that have the same thing in the
Subject and I don't want those to be filtered incorrectly.

The problem -- and this doesn't happen on this list, I don't believe, but
it does on others, I'm using this list for examples only -- is that from
time to time I receive a message that is addressed to "Undisclosed
Recipients". These messages are a real PITA because how do I filter them?
Sure, the subject still contains the list name but I don't want to filter
on the Subject for the reasons cited above. It's got to have something to
do with the order my filters are executing and maybe the selection
criteria, but for whatever reason I have never been able to get it to work
the way I want it to.

This has been a low priority for me until now because it's been a very
minor and rather infrequent sort of hassle. But now I am involved with two
different email groups for my classes, and the standard web-based email
software my school uses (and most students use, since it's free and they
don't need another ISP) sends messages using the "Undisclosed Recipients"
by default when sending to groups! It's really a pain now because I really
need to have those messages auto-filter to the right folders so I don't
miss anything for class. This problem is compounded by the fact that in
both cases I'm the "group leader" and need to receive private emails from
list members as well as send and receive group emails.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at