[24hoursupport] Loss of Desktop Shortcut Icons after MS Security Updates

  • From: "Jerry G. Harris" <jgharris@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:00:46 -0600

Open Message:
Last evening I ran the MS system update for critical and essential
program updates that I might need.  Found that I lacked five.  Downloaded
them and noticed that had a quick download to dnlod folder but was
extremely slow placing them in my system (my dnloads are to a dnload
folder then open them to computer... can better keep track of what-when
updates were made).  After rebooting the PC I noticed that I had lost the
shortcut Icons on the desktop... ALL of them.  I immediately tried
"go-back" and found several "OK" locations.  I returned to previous day
opening.  This did not recover the lost Desktop Shortcut Icons.  After a
second reboot I tried Safe Mode Administrator and found same lack of
Desktop Shortcut Icons.

The only way I now have to access programs is by the " start" button and
this makes it most difficult.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to correct my problem??  I
would like to return to having the shortcuts (selected) on the desktop to
more quickly access the programs.

Your thoughts, please.

Jerry G. Harris
jgharris@xxxxxxxx