[24hoursupport] List Administration Info -- Please Read

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:24:42 -0600

Hello Everybody,

There are two topics I'd like to address tonight.

First, please trim your replies. By that I mean, please remove all quoted=
 text from previous messages that is unnecessary to the focus of your=
 reply. Trimming replies is a very good habit to get into, takes very=
 little effort, and is considered good "netiquette" for several excellent=
 reasons. Among other things, trimming your replies makes them more=
 readable. It is also a courtesy to those members who receive messages in=
 digest mode. For those of you who may not know, digests contain all the=
 text, including quoted material, from all messages posted to the list over=
 a given period of time. When no one trims their replies, the digest=
 messages may contain dozens of copies of the exact same text and become=
 incredibly difficult to sort through and read. Many other lists absolutely=
 require trimming of replies, and will reject any message that quotes=
 unnecessarily and/or excessively. We don't want to have to do that on this=
 list. We've rejected a few messages that had this problem in the past, and=
 asked the sender to trim their reply and resend. We'd rather not need to=
 do that at all.

This isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't quote the message you're=
 replying to. Brief quotations, enough to refresh the reader's memory about=
 what is being discussed and is relevant to your reply, are desirable to=
 include. The problem is when an entire message is quoted, especially when=
 the reply is one or two lines or is responding to just one point in a=
 lengthy original message. More information on this and other netiquette=
 questions can be found at http://www.onlinenetiquette.com

The second topic is list membership management. There are three ways you=
 can manage your membership to this list.

1) You can log on to the main web interface at http://www.freelists.org,=
 sign in, and set any option available

2) You can go to the simplified web interface I have set up on the list=
 home page at http://webpages.charter.net/chizotz/

3) You can manage your membership by email by sending commands to the=
 freelists server. This option requires you to send an email to a special=
 address with the command you want to send in either the subject of the=
 message or in the message body. The email address to send these kinds of=
 messages to is 24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Over the past few weeks several people have sent membership management=
 commands, as in option 3,  to the moderator address instead of to the=
 address above. This is not a huge deal, and we have responded to these=
 messages in various ways to try to get the membership issues straightened=
 out. I also want to make it clear that this message is in no way meant to=
 be critical of anyone, and that if you happen to be one of the people who=
 have made this mistake don't feel bad because it's an easy and=
 understandable one to make.

At the same time, when messages of this type are sent to the moderator list=
 it does cause mild issues for the moderators as well as the person sending=
 the message. The main concern is that, at the very least, there will be a=
 delay before the changes to your membership take effect because it may be=
 hours from the time you send it to the time a moderator logs on, sees the=
 message, and takes action. Messages of this type sent to the moderator=
 list may even slip through the cracks and never be acted on. We try not to=
 let things like that happen, but mistakes and miscommunications do happen=
 from time to time.

I highly suggest that when you need to change your membership settings that=
 you try options 1 or 2, which are generally easier for most people. If you=
 want or need to manage your membership by email, please go to=
 http://webpages.charter.net/chizotz/ and read/print the instructions for=
 managing your membership by email first so that you won't have any=
 problems with the changes. You can also have the instructions emailed to=
 you by sending a message to 24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the=
 word "info" (without quotes) and no other words in the subject line.

Everyone on this list is welcome to email the moderators at=
 24hoursupport-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if they have any questions=
 regarding membership management or other issues that they feel would best=
 be handled privately. Everyone is also welcome to email me directly if=
 needed. The moderators and/or I will respond as soon as we are able.

Thanks everybody! We now return you to your regularly scheduled email:)

Ron Allen
List Owner

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at