[24hoursupport] Re: Laser printer

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bram <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 09:28:11 -0500

Hello Bram,

It depends on how many pages you print in a year.

Your printer has the drum separate from the toner cartridge, and many
other models of printers have the drum inside the toner cartridge. So
when you replace the toner cartridge, you're also replacing the drum..

The toner cartridge for your printer lists for approximately $35 and
can print about 4000 pages before needing replacement. The drum lists
for approximately $170 as is rated for approximately 20K pages before
needing replacement. So if you print 20K pages a year, your total cost
per year would be in the neighborhood of $345.

HP printers include the drum in the toner cartridge, as far as I know.
Typically, HP toner cartridges run about $80 each, and are rated for
approximately 3500 pages. Using these numbers, to print 20K pages/year
you'd spend about $480/year using an HP printer.

You need to do your own comparisons, and include the factors of
downtime and hassle of drum replacement, but you may be better off
sticking to your OKI printer money-wise.

You need to consider the cost of replacement cartridges for the
specific new printer(s) you're considering, and also keep in mind that
there are generic cartridges available for many models that cost
considerably less.

Good luck, HTH.