[24hoursupport] Re: KB trouble

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:28:32 -0500

Hi Allen,

I didn't think it sounded like a ketboard problem.

There is some program, possibly Windows itself, that is
not correctly mapping the keys or is turning the key
combinations off.

Several questions:

(1) was this an upgrade to Windows XP or a clean install,
or did the computer come with XP preinstalled?
(2) is the keyboard old, a very cheap off-brand, or is it
reasonably new and/or a quality brand?
(3) have you looked for and installed the latest driver
for your particular keyboard?
(4) is the keyboard USB or does it plug into the keyboard
port?
(5) are your language settings in Windows correct?
(6) does the hardware manager correctly report the
keyboard you have installed?

I suspect that either your language settings are off,
causing a keyboard mapping issue, or your driver needs to
be updated/replaced. If the keyboard is USB, that
introduces other possibilities.

Ron

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:18:55 -0700
  Allen Hall <awhall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Sorry, Ron and others.  I forgot to add that I tried 2
>other keyboards and
>got the same problem.  Also these 4 keys seem to work
>with a shift once in
>a while but very seldom.  I haven't been able to
>associate the working or
>non-working of the keys with any other program.  I have
>an XP OS.  I will
>try to notice what other programs are running when these
>keys occasionally
>work with a shift  and when they don't.  Many thanks for
>the input.
>
>From: "Ron  Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: KB problem
>Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:32:09 -0500
>
>Hi Allen,
>
>I don't think this is a hardware keyboard problem. You
>can
>type the unshifted characters OK, and the shift works
>with
>other keys, so that means the keys themsleves are
>working.
>
>What operating system, and what other programs are
>running?
>
>Ron
>
>For a web-based membership management utility and
>information on list policies, please see
>http://nibec.com/24hoursupport/
>
>To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
>24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe"
>(without quotes) in the subject.

<TEXTAREA NAME="Signature" ROWS="4" COLS="60">