[24hoursupport] Re: Is it okay to never shut computers down?

  • From: Fuzzy Logic <fuzzman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:24:38 -0400 (EDT)

I'm very clearly stating that it does still apply unless they've had a
revolution in the 4 years since I recieved my degree in Computer
Engineering, and I didn't hear about it.

I believe that shutting one's machine down if you're not putting it to use
is a good idea.  However, if you're only walking away for a short while,
it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Fuzzy
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Joe Parker wrote:

> I think the theory about initial power surges is a leftover from the days
> of filaments, but I doubt it applies too much to solid state components. No
> question though that heating and cooling causes parts to expand & contract
> which isn't a good thing. But most mobos I've replaced have been due to
> upgrading, so I really don't see shortened lifespan as a good argument to
> never switch off.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at