[24hoursupport] Re: Is it okay to never shut computers down?

  • From: Lpagsugu@xxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 04:44:11 EDT

Wow!  Thanks for all the replies everyone!  My home computer is on -almost-
24 hours a day, aside from the constant rebooting from crashes or to recover
memory, and it is turned off if I leave the house for a long period of time.

As for the work situation, from what I read in everyone's responses, it is a
good idea to leave the computers on.  There are only 4 stations networked to
a central server (I think, I'm not very good with network topologies and
whatnot) running Win95, no internet connection, and used only for business or
to play Solitaire :)  I guess what prompted me to ask on the list was when my
boss said that he had a computer that hadn't been turned off for about 5
years or so and my eyeballs nearly popped out.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.  They were all extremely helpful
^.^

Lene

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at