[24hoursupport] Re: Is it okay to never shut computers down?

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 23:44:54 -0400

I leave mine on all winter. Running a shared computing project and/or
defragging overnight. But in summer it makes no sense as the heat generated
just adds to the a/c bill. All my office machines are turned off if
nobody's using them.

Another fear factor in summer is thunderstorms. Even with a UPS it's still
a heck of a risk. Not that I won't keep working while lightning crashes
around me, but if we're e.g. out to eat and a storm moves through it's a
constant worry if the computer's on.

I think the theory about initial power surges is a leftover from the days
of filaments, but I doubt it applies too much to solid state components. No
question though that heating and cooling causes parts to expand & contract
which isn't a good thing. But most mobos I've replaced have been due to
upgrading, so I really don't see shortened lifespan as a good argument to
never switch off.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at