[24hoursupport] Re: Is it okay to never shut computers down?

  • From: bls <brenna_99_ca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:21:29 -0700 (PDT)

And where I live, it's been hot and dry lately, with
the temp in our non-air conditioned home climbing to
close to 30 degrees C.  The computer hasn't been used
much anyway this summer, but when it spontaneously
rebooted for the first time on one of those hot days,
my diagnosis was 'overheating' and the new rule is it
stays off during hot days.

Also...we have replaced the CPU fan in this unit, but
the old one had been making funny noises from time to
time, although it was still running.  I considered the
computer a potential fire hazard until the fan got
replaced, however, and the computer, which we had left
on all day, even if we were out, got turned off each
night and if no one was home during the day.  And it
still will be.  Things go wrong, and if a fan quits, I
don't think it would take long for the computer to
become dangerously hot.

Brenna

--- Kari <kari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> | >At work, manager hates it when we shut down
> computers.  Outside of the
> | >fact
> | >that we could save electricity by shutting down
> the comps, should we just
> | >leave them on continuously?  Pros/cons?  Thanks.
>

> I rarely ever turn mine off. I used to. I took a
> malfunctioning computer
> that was about 4 months old back and it was all
> corroded inside because we
> lived in a damp environment (rainforest on the
> sound). So if you have a damp
> atmosphere you would definitely want to keep it on
> most of the time.
>
> Kari

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at